Whoever said “Love don’t cost a thing” evidently never experienced Valentine’s Day! With this romantic holiday quickly approaching, TV commercials are full of diamonds, roses, and chocolates, which can put a pinch on your pocket. With Valentine’s Day, pretty close behind Christmas many couples are still recovering from Christmas spending and don’t have the money to give elaborate gifts to each other.
My husband and I were talking today and he said he realized that he really gets hit hard in the gift department from December to February. With Christmas in December, my birthday in January, Valentine’s Day and then our anniversary 7 days later, all his major gift giving occasions to me, are concentrated in a 3 month time frame.
How can you express your love to your sweetie without breaking the bank? Here’s a list of Frugal Valentine’s Day Ideas and Gifts:
1. Breakfast in bed. Maybe you don’t have time in the morning to give your loved one breakfast in bed, but breakfast for dinner is the best. Pile up in the bed with a tray of breakfast and then snuggle up for a movie and other **cough** celebrating.
2. Give your sweetheart handmade Valentine’s. Remember making Valentine’s in school when you were a kid. Grab some paper and markers and get crafty.
3. Mail your Valentine’s cards to your love. Even if you live together, drop a card or love letter off at the post office and surprise them with a card in the mail.
4. Have an at home fondue party. Skip the expensive dinner and enjoy an at home fondue night. Don’t have a fondue kit? You can easily melt cheeses and chocolates in a crockpot or in the microwave or on the stove.
5. Movie Night. A night at the movies can get pretty expensive. Stop by Redbox and rent a couple movies. Forget the microwave popcorn and instead, work together to make some unique popcorn like these recipes:
- Cajun Popcorn
- Valentine’s Popcorn
- Party Popcorn
- Vanilla-Honey-Salted Caramel Popcorn
- Buffalo Parmesan Popcorn
6. Using a package of inexpensive Valentine’s (like the kind you gave away in elementary school), write down different reasons why you love your sweetie.
7. Go on a picnic….Yes a picnic in February. In your living room!
8. Bake cookies or make candy for your love like these yummy treats from Baking Beauty.
9. Another sweet idea is to give your loved one some sweet treats. Check out these ideas from the Dating Divas.
10. Create a coupon book for your significant other. In the coupon book, give them 12 coupons. They can use one coupon a month. It may be a picnic, dinner at their favorite restaurant, an overnight trip, a massage by you, breakfast in bed, car wash, etc.
11. Take a class together or give them a gift of a class they would enjoy. Many community colleges or libraries offer free or inexpensive classes on everything from cooking, sewing, woodwork, poetry, and so much more.
12. Leave love notes for your sweetheart, in their car, on the mirror in the bathroom, in their makeup bag/shaving bag, in their shoes, at their job, in the refrigerator or wherever you would like.
However you choose to celebrate Valentine’s Day, the important thing is to show our love to the ones we love.
Happy Valentine’s Day!