Welcome back! Our site has been down for the past week. Why, you may ask? We recently switched our site to a different host. Being the technological novices that we are, we began the process of switching from Fat Cow to Site Ground. We thought that everything was good to go…until last weekend. I logged on to check our site stats and noticed we had only had about 30 visitors that day!
What the heck?
That’s when I realized our site transfer had not went through.
I soon found out that because we began the transfer during the last couple of weeks before our domain was set to expire with Fat Cow, we had to pay to renew our domain with Fat Cow before our domain could be transferred to our new hosting company. Talk about a headache! Fat Cow is not the easiest company to deal with. Just to put it bluntly, their support stinks!!! Thank goodness the support team at Site Ground is wonderful. They made this process very easy for us.
If you are a blogger here are some tips for when you find yourself switching to a new host:
1. Find a host that offers support as part of your package.
2. Find a host that will support the amount of traffic that you are expecting from your site.
3. Make sure that your domain is renewed. We found that because we were within 15 days of our domain expiring with Fat Cow we had to pay to renew our domain with Fat Cow before our domain could be transferred.
4. Don’t wait to the last minute. If you plan on switching to a new host, make sure you give yourself plenty of time for the site transfer to take place so that your site is not down!!
5. Make sure that you have a backup of your site before you begin the transfer to a new host.
There are so many options available if you are looking to transfer your blog to a new host. Shop around and make sure that you find the best option for your blog. Remember, the best option is not always the cheapest option!