Take a walk down the juice aisle at the supermarket and you are bombarded with choices. Juices, drinks, punches, cocktails, ades and so many more varieties to wet your palate. But which is best for you and your family? Let’s break it down and take a look at the differences.
* 100% Juice
Drinks which are labeled 100% Juice are squeezed directly from the fruit or made from concentrated juice that is reconstituted with water. 100% juices provide your body with more of the necessary vitamins and minerals than other drink options.
* Juice Drinks, Cocktails, Punches, Blends, Ades, and Beverages
These drinks do not contain very much actual fruit juice. They are formulated with less than 100% juice and often contain added sweeteners. These drinks do not provide your body with the necessary vitamins and minerals like 100% juices do.
Many people choose juice drinks or cocktails because of price. In many cases you may be able to purchase drinks cheaper than 100% juice but oftentimes the difference is very small, especially when you consider the nutritional value of 100% juices. If you are concerned about what you are giving your family to drink you may consider paying slightly more for the healthy options.
Some key points to keep in mind when choosing juice beverages:
* If the label says “drink, ade, beverage, punch, blend, cocktail, or delight” you are not getting 100% juice. Its mostly sugar and water.
* Don’t be fooled by “contains real fruit juice”. The amount of real juice may be very very small.
* Check the expiration date of ready to serve juice.
* Drink opened juice within one week.
* Frozen concentrate is cheaper and often a better source of Vitamin C than ready to serve juices.
* Prices of drinks may be very similiar to real juices.