This summer my husband and I plan to begin trying to get pregnant. As I have shared before, we had a daughter who was stillborn in October 2013 and we are at the point where we are ready to try again. In the meantime there are several things that I am doing to get my body ready to be a baby making factory.
1. I am losing weight. Women who are a healthy weight have an easier time conceiving and typically have healthier pregnancies and healthier babies.
2. Cutting caffeine: This is probably the hardest one for me as I am a Mt. Dew addict. I have tried to cut caffeine, cold turkey before, and have been unsuccessful so this time I am gradually cutting back on the caffeine.
3. Vitamins: I currently take a prenatal vitamin, calcium, and colic acid.
4. Aspirin: As I mentioned before, I have a clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden which makes my blood more prone to clots. After a recommendation from my doctor I am taking a baby aspirin each day to keep my blood from getting too thick.
5. Diet: I am eating healthier than in the past. I am not doing the Paleo diet like Miss Adventures, but I do try to stay away from processed foods and foods that are high in fats, sugars, and calories. Of course I do still eat stuff that’s not the healthiest …..like the cupcake I had yesterday….but only occasionally.
There are a few things that I need to do in the next few months.
1. Dental checkup: Pregnancy is hard on your teeth and gums. I need to go visit my dentist for a cleaning and checkup.
2. Vaccines: I need to make sure that I am up to date on all my vaccines. The ones that are recommend that you check on are: tetanus, rubella, hepatitis b, chicken pox, and the flu. I had chicken pox as a child, before the vaccine was available so I don’t think I need to get that vaccine but I will be double checking with my doctor just to be sure.
3. Continue losing weight and doing the things I am already doing.
As I continue to get my body ready and then actively begin trying to conceive I will be posting updates and more information about preparing for pregnancy. And hopefully within a few months I can start blogging about being pregnant!