I was perusing through my fridge and pantry a few days ago trying to decide what to make to take for our Christmas dinner. I really did not want to go to the grocery store, thus this salad was created, all with ingredients I already had at home. I found several recipes online for Greek Tortellini Salad, such as this one from Two Peas and Their Pod, which helped inspire this dish.
I made a pretty large salad to feed my large family but if you are making a salad for a smaller group you can easily cut this recipe in half.
Greek Tortellini Salad
Cheese Tortellini, prepared according to package directions
4 Roma Tomatoes
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 large cucumber, chopped
Pepperoni, about 1/2 cup, cut each slice into 4 pieces
1 small can sliced black olives, drained
1/2 Cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup olive oil
4 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Chop cucumber and tomato. Slice red onion. I cut my onion in half and then used my mandolin slicer to thinly slice the onion. Don’t have a mandolin slicer? Buy one here from Amazon. I love this one because it has a handy guard that helps keep your fingers safe!
2. Combine vegetables in a large bowl with black olives.
3. Add pepperoni. I used my kitchen shears to chop the pepperoni into quarters.
4. Prepare tortellini and drain. Rinse with cold water. Combine with vegetables and pepperoni.
5. Mix together with crumbled feta cheese.
6. In a separate bowl combine together all dressing ingredients and mix well.
7. Add dressing to the salad and mix well.
8. Chill and serve.
This dish was great as a side dish but would also be great as a main dish.