I love to shop, but I hate spending a ton of money. It’s really difficult because the stuff I love is higher end, luxury items and good food! How do I do it on a single mom budget? Here is how I do it.
Have a written, or at least a mental
list of things you would like to have. For example, my current list is Dior 5 Coleur eyeshadow pallet, new shower curtain rings, a couple new RL sweaters, jewelry for my daughter’s birthday, and stocking up on 24 months and 2T clothing for Boo Boo Bear. How will I obtain these items without paying full price (because I can go ahead and tell you I won’t be spending $60 for an eyeshadow pallet!)
1. Scour eBay. You will be surprised on what you will find! I’m bidding on a couple Dior shadows right now!
2. Check out TJ Maxx and Marshalls, stores like that. They oftentimes have excellent clearance, and their stuff is what’s currently at Macy’s! A couple weeks ago I found a $500 Nike motorcycle coat for $49. Great deal.
3. Paruse the Internet! Sites like 1saleaday, Groupon, LivingSocial, Petesdeals, SweetJack, all have great deals from time to time. I get a lot of my restaurant deals on these. Beware of restaurant.com…I’ve purchased deals and the restaurant won’t honor them!
4. I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again: shop resale! If there is a Clothes Mentor, Once Upon A Child, or Plato’s Closet around, use this resource! Every time I go into these stores, I find Lilly Pulitzer, the Ralph Lauren cable knit sweaters I love, Louis Vuitton handbags, Kate Spade dresses (I saw one today at TJ Maxx as well!) all for a fraction of what they cost at the mall. My son wears almost exclusively RL, not because we are snobs, but because it is what’s available at these stores.
5. COUPONS!!! I have zero sympathy for people who say things are way too expensive at the grocery store yet are too lazy to pair a coupon with a sale price and stock up. For example, I’ve been needing contact solution, but it’s so expensive! Today watching for the lowest prices, I scored two for around $4.50 for both. That’s enough to last me and the Dancing Queen a year!
There is no excuse to dress or eat poorly! Even if you live frugally you can live like a king or queen by stretching out your budget!