Today I put gas in my car and it was $3.77. That was the cheapest anywhere in town. Some places were as high as $3.92. With gas prices the way they are this got me thinking, how can I save money on gas? So I did a little research and these are the top ways that I found to save money on gas.
1. Check your air filter. A clean air filter can save as much as 10% on gas.
2. Straighten up. Not only does poor alignment of your tires cause them to wear out faster it also forces your engine to work harder.
3. Get a tune up. This can improve your gas mileage by about 4%.
4. Make sure that your tires are inflated properly. More than one quarter of all vehicles drive with under inflated tires, which lowers your gas mileage.
5. Slow down. For every 5 mph that you reduce your speed you also reduce your fuel consumption by about 7%.
6. Lay off the brakes. Not only will riding the brakes cause your brake pads to wear out faster it will also increase fuel consumption.
7. Lighten your load. Get rid of the extra weight in your car. I’m not talking about your spouse or kids either! Don’t carry your golf clubs around in your trunk all the time!
8. Learn where to find the cheapest gas. Use apps like Gasbuddy to find the cheapest gas in your area.
9. Take advantage of discounts. I often buy my gas at Kroger because I can use my Kroger card and save up to $1 per gallon.
10. Target the best time of day to get gas. Usually before dawn or late at night you will find that gas prices are at their lowest.
11. Find the best day to get gas. Traditionally gas prices are lowest on Wednesdays. Stations raise their prices on the weekends and right before holidays.
12. Find alternate ways to get to work. This is one tip that may not be feasible for everyone. For me, I live in an area where there are no public transit systems and typically you live several miles from your job which would make walking to work difficult or impossible. But you may be able to find someone to carpool with if there is someone that lives near you that works at the same place that you do.
Do you have tips for saving money on gas? We would love to hear your tips! Feel free to leave us a comment below.