Today I’m sharing with you my super easy recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes.
2 large unripe green tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 Cup flour
1 Cup Corn Meal
1 Cup of Milk or Buttermilk
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
Pinch of cayenne
Salt & Pepper
1. Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices, removing the top and bottom of the tomato.
2. In one bowl mix together the flour, garlic, salt and pepper.
3. In the second bowl, mix together 2 eggs and the milk.
4. In the third bowl, mix together the corn meal and cayenne.
5. Preheat oil to 375 degrees. You will need oil, about 1/2 inch deep. I like to use a cast iron skillet but you can use an electric skillet or other cookware of your choice.
6. Dredge the tomato slices in the flour.
7. Dip the tomato slice into the egg and milk mixture.
8. Then dredge the tomato slices in the cornmeal mixture.
9. Place tomato slices into the hot oil. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side. When done, arrange them on a plate or wire cooling wrack. Do not lay them on a paper towel as it will make the breading soggy.
Now, the ways to serve your fried green tomatoes is just as diverse as the recipes.
Many people like to dress their fried green tomatoes with a spicy remoulade sauce such as this Louisiana Remoulade Sauce.
You can also use the tomatoes to make a Fried Green Tomato BLT.
This Fried Green Tomato and Bacon Grilled Cheese has my mouth watering!
Let’s Dish has a delicious looking Barbecue Buttermilk Dipping Sauce recipe.
How do you like to eat your Fried Green Tomatoes?