According to the Center of Disease Control, there have been FIFTEEN MILLION confirmed cases of the flu. Yesterday, that number became at least fifteen million and one.
Let me tell you, I felt as if death was imminent. Weakness, skin painful to even light touch, hips felt as if I was breaking in half, nausea…all while I was sitting at my desk at work.
Being sick is one of my least favorite things. It turns me into a huge whiney baby. But, because feeling ill is not something I can tolerate, self-care is so important.
My disclaimer on my advice: by no means am I a physician, my advice comes only from things done on my own and were not advised by any physician. Follow at your own risk.
What to do to combat flu symptoms:
1. Sleep! Sleep helped me the most. For fourteen glorious hours (baby permitting,) I slept. Of course he would wake, he got the care he needed, but generally, if I sleep, he will sleep.
2. Increase your fluid intake, even if you are vomiting. If you do not vomit immediately after drinking, you are at least retaining some fluids. Clear liquids. Don’t be drinking a red Gatorade then go to the doctor and tell them your vomit is red. Red to a healthcare provider= blood. Drink clears! (Gross, I know. It’s a part of it.)
3. Caffeine aggregates flu symptoms, not alleviates. Avoid caffeine.
4. OTC medications. If you can take them. Check with your doctor if you are on other medications or have any medical conditions. Use OTC acetaminophen and ibuprofen “as directed on the packaging” to control fever and body aches.
5. If you have children…have flu, will travel…to others. My daughter now has the flu as well. She’s miserable. Boo boo bear however, does not. The Doc I saw said that because he is breast fed he probably will not get infected. Fingers crossed. It’s sad enough than my ten year old has it, the thought of the baby contracting the flu makes my heart break.
Those are just a few things I have done to help myself feel better while being plagued with the flu. Hope this little list helps someone out there feel better more quickly!