Does the thought of exercising make you cringe? When you think about going to the gym do you picture images of women in spandex and leg warmers? Exercising is not all bad. Maybe going to the gym is not your cup of tea, or maybe its not in your budget. There are so many other ways you can burn calories without actually calling it “exercise”. Just last week I spent a few hours working in my yard and landscaping. According to my BodyBugg I burned more than 3 times as many calories as I normally burn in one trip to the gym, plus I got a lot accomplished!
Lets take a look at some exercise tips:
1. Exercise 3 times a week. Even if you don’t go to the gym, do something to increase your heart rate for at least 30 minutes, 3 times a week.
2. Buy a pedometer and try to get 10,000 steps per day in.
3. Take the stairs. Skip the elevator.
4. Park farther away from the store so that you have farther to walk. (I don’t recommend this after dark however. Be safe and smart.)
5. Swim! Swimming is great exercise. Find a YMCA, fitness center, or even a local hotel that allows people to you their pool and swim, swim, swim.
6. Find fun ways to get active. Join a softball team, ride a bike, go hiking with your family.
7. Walk in place while watching TV.
8. Get a dog! This will force you to get active. My dog doesn’t let me go to bed until we take a walk each night, even when its freezing outside.
9. Offer to babysit a Toddler. You will for sure get a workout!
10. Use the buddy system. If you have a friend to work out with you will be more likely to stick to it and you can keep each other accountable.
Have you checked out our Facebook page? We would love to connect with you on Facebook.