Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
I hardly ever fry anything but recently my mom, who is recovering from surgery, requested fried fish. I had never made batter fried fish so I was keeping my fingers crossed that this recipe would work, and it did. It was delicious.
This recipe can be made with many types of fish. I happened to have Tilapia and Ocean Perch in the freezer so that is what I used but you could use catfish, cod, swai, or other types of fish.
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup corn meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
Water, enough to make a pancake like batter
Old Bay Seasoning
1. Mix together dry ingredients.
2. Add one egg.
3. Slowly add in water until the batter has the consistency of pancake batter.
4. Season fish with Old Bay Seasoning (to taste).
5. Preheat oil to 350 degrees. I prefer to use an electric skillet.
6. Add fish to batter to coat thoroughly.
7. Add batter coated fish to oil. Cook on each side until golden brown.
8. Remove from oil. I prefer to place my fish on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the grease.
Serve and enjoy!