Sometimes life doesn’t turn out the way we planned. Once upon a time I thought I was in love with a man who seemed perfect. I soon learned, after marrying him, that he wasn’t perfect, it only seemed that way because of the lies he told and the imaginary life he claimed to live. Even though my brief marriage left me broken: emotionally, mentally, and financially, I learned so much from that experience.
5 Things I Learned From My First Marriage
1. People are not always whom they seem to be. My ex husband claimed to be a US Marine who had served in Iraq. He even had a uniform. He also claimed to have been on several fire departments. He was neither of these things. It was all part of his lies. If they seem to perfect maybe its to good to be true. Do some digging. If I had Googled his name or even asked people that I knew personally, I would have found out the truth about this man before I made the mistake of marrying him.
2. Shutting out friends and family because of a relationship is one of the worst things you can do. Because my ex was extremely jealous I found myself socializing with others less and less because I knew how jealous he was. I went a whole month without seeing my parents whom I normally saw several times a week. Don’t allow someone to make you cut ties with the people that have always been their for you because in the end those are the people that will be there to pick you up.
3. Don’t rush into important decisions. I only knew my ex for 2 months when I married him. What was I thinking? Now I never make decisions in a hurry. If someone is pressuring you or rushing you to make a decision it probably won’t turn out well.
4. Just because you love someone doesn’t mean they love you back. I truly believe that with my ex “marriage” and “love” was a game. He likes to move from one woman to the next. Just because you love that person and want things to work doesn’t mean they feel the same way.
5. Even though you feel broken now doesn’t mean you will always feel that way. An abusive marriage or even just a failed marriage can leave you feeling broken, alone, and depressed. Keep in mind that just because this relationship ended it’s jot the end of your world. Things will get better.