I have used 20 Mule Team Borax for several years in my homemade laundry detergent but I had no idea that there were so many other things that you can do with Borax until I recently came across directions for using Borax in your carpet steamer. That got me thinking, “what else can you do with borax?” You’ll be surprised!
30 Creative Uses for Borax
1. Clean your pots and pans. Add 1 Tablespoon borax to a small bowl of warm water. Stir together. Use a sponge and this mixture to clean your pots and pans.
2. Kill fleas in your carpet. Sprinkle borax onto your carpet, let sit for an hour then vacuum. Remember to keep your pet out of the room until the borax is vacuumed up.
3. Kill ants. In a small lid mix together a little bit of borax, powdered sugar and water. Let it sit where the ants are at the most. They will be attracted to the sugar and then carry the mixture back to their colony where it will kill them.
4. Get rid of soap scum. Sprinkle borax in shower or tub. Add a little water and wipe mixture over shower/tub walls and fixtures. Rinse well and wipe dry.
5. Carpet Cleaner. Mix together 1/2 cup borax and 1 gallon of warm water. Add to your carpet cleaner and use in place of commercial carpet cleaning detergents.
6. Clean your toilets. Pour 1/2 cup borax into your toilet bowl. Let sit for a couple of hours. Scrub with toilet brush and flush.
7. Make dish soap. You will need one bar of Ivory soap, Borax, and water. Grate the bar of soap. Add 1 3/4 cup water to a saucepan and heat till boiling. Add 1 teaspoon borax and 1 teaspoon grated soap. Mix together. Remove from heat. Once cool you can pour this into your empty detergent bottle.
8. Clean your baseboards. Dissolve 1/2 cup Borax into 1 gallon of water. Use this mixture to scrub your baseboards.
9. Detergent Booster. Add 1/2 cup Borax to each load of laundry and launder as usual.
10. Clean patio furniture. Mix 1 teaspoon of dish detergent, 1 teaspoon of borax, and a quart of warm water in a spray bottle. Spray your patio furniture and wipe it down.
11. Clean your garbage disposal. Pour several tablespoons down the drain and let it sit for an hour, then rinse with warm water.
12. Deodorize the litter box. Mix ¼ cup of borax in with the cat littler to reduce odor.
13. Deodorize your trash can. A little bit sprinkled on the bottom absorbs moisture and stop odors from forming.
14. Unclog drains. Mix ½ cup of borax with 2 cups of hot water, pour it down the drain and let it sit for 15 minutes.
15. Remove rust. Mix ½ cup of borax, 1 cup of warm water and ½ tablespoon of lemon juice. Scrub away the rust.
16. Mop the floor. Mix together 1 gallon of water, ½ cup of borax, 1 tablespoon of ammonia and 1 teaspoon of dish detergent for a great floor cleaner.
17. Kill weeds. Sprinkle it on the cracks where weeds grow to kill them. Don’t use it in your garden though because it will kill your plants.
18. Keep mice away. Sprinkle it along walls or anywhere you’ve seen mice. It’s a great repellent.
19. Get rid of bed bugs. Sprinkle it on your mattress, wait an hour then vacuum it up.
20. Make an all purpose cleaner. Just mix four cups of hot water with four tablespoons of borax in a spray bottle.
21. 409 Cleaner Clone. Mix together 2 Tablespoons Distilled White Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Borax, 1/8 cup Dawn Dishsoap, 1 Cup hot water. Mix well and add to empty spray bottle.
22. Make Borax crystals with your kids. You can find the recipe here.
23. Make Borax Snowflakes using Borax and pipecleaners.
24. Clean your oven. You can find the recipe here.
25. Make your own Goo Gone using Borax.
26. Make homemade flubber with the kids.
27. Make a rubber bouncy ball.
28. Make your own Magic Eraser.
29. Renew your old China with Borax.
30. Preserve fresh flowers.